Upcycle Eco Store is open in the small Gatehouse opposite our furniture store in Chepstow, RIGHT NEXT TO THE TRAIN STATION, and we have an Eco corner in Cinderford Forest Upcycling Project.
In our stores you can get refills of the following:
ECO Washing up liquid 25p/100ml
Kitchen and Bathroom spray cleaner 20p/100ml
Bio D NON-BIO Concentrated Laundry liquid 50p/100ml
Bio D Fabric conditioner 25p/100ml
Bio D Toilet Cleaner 25p/100ml
Bio D Handwash 40p/100ml
Suma shampoo 85p/100ml
Suma conditioner 85p/100ml
We buy our detergents in 25l drums. When these are empty, the manufacturer in Cinderford who makes our washing up liquid will re-use and refill them for us. PLASTIC FREE DETERGENTS!
We also provide 5L bottles of handwash and shampoo/conditioner, so customers can refill at home.
One 25l drum will save 50 regular sized washing up bottles.
OUR TOP 5 EASY TIPS FOR SAVING PLASTIC…….
- REFILL YOUR DETERGENT BOTTLES AT A LOCAL REFILL STATION.
- ALWAYS BRING YOUR WATER BOTTLE AND COFFEE CUP WITH YOU. GET THE REFILL APP TO SEE WHERE YOU CAN REFILL YOUR WATER FOR FREE.
- SWITCH FROM PLASTIC SPONGES TO LOOFAH WASHING UP PADS. Although these may seem expensive, they will last for 3-6 months and can be freshened up in the washing machine.
- SWITCH FROM CLING FILM TO RECYCLED ALUMINIUM FOIL OR REUSABLE ‘TUPPERWARE’.
- BUY LOOSE FRUIT AND VEG, OR USE A RE-USABLE COTTON BAG TO WEIGH IT IN.
The Upcycle Eco Store is due to open on 19th March.
Reduce your plastic footprint!
Lots of our customers are already into re-use, recycling and upcycling in a big way, and we wanted to join with them in the fight against single use plastics.
Our Upcycle Eco Store aims to be as plastic free as possible, offering people alternatives to using new plastics. If even half the people in Chepstow, Caldicot and Forest of Dean chose to refill their washing up liquid and laundry detergent, rather than buy a new bottle, the impact would be massive.
Find us inside the Charity Art Gallery. Opposite Chepstow Train Station.
Click HERE to see some of the products on offer.
Some small changes you could make:
- Refill bottles of detergent, so each bottle is used at least 10 times before recycling.
- Use cotton bags for buying loose fruit and veg in the supermarket – we are in the process of making some of these for the Eco Store.
- Switch to bars of soap rather than handsoap and shower gel. When they are finished there will be nothing to throw away, they’ll also last longer.
- Use a washing up sponge made of natural material, rather than cheap throwaway plastic sponges.
- Buy bamboo toothbrushes – you only need to buy 4 toothbrushes a year; the additional cost could be as little as £2/year.
- Carry a reusuable coffee cup and water bottle. Lots of coffee shops offer a discount for bringing your own cup and will refill a bottle free of charge! Tiffin’s Tea Room in Chepstow only charge £1.35 for a takeaway coffee/cappucino/latte if you bring your own cup!
- Switch to shaving soap, rather than foam/gel. You never know- you might like it.
These are just some changes. If each person adopted one or two of these the difference would be immense!