When you buy or donate items at Upcycle you are helping us to; employ people in need of additional support that cannot be provided in mainstream employment; keep our vehicles on the road so we can offer free collection services of items; pay our rent and bills so we have open warehouses for people to come and buy items they need; buy necessary insurance and equipment to keep staff and volunteers safe; provide items free of charge to those in desperate need.
- Reduced amount of waste going into landfill.
- Providing paid employment and work experience positions to people with disabilities or other circumstances that make employment difficult. Upcycle currently has 20 employees from the local areas.
- Working closely with housing association, church groups and charities within the Forest to effectively recycle/upcycle household goods for people in need.
- High proportion of furniture and white goods sold or given to lower income people.
- A volunteering opportunity for everyone, especially individuals that have been marginalised, through ill health, long term unemployment or life experiences as well as individuals who just want to give back something to their local community.
Longer term Aims
- Upcycling of high end goods from salvage yards to develop skills such as French Polishing, furniture making and upholstery
- Trained young adults to make bird boxes and tables.
- Skilled craftsmen and women sharing skills with the young people.